Since BookCon is just over a week away and I am BEYOND excited, I thought I would share some of the things I am most looking forward to this year, as well as a final checklist for attendees!
- Penguin Random House: they have loads of giveaways and author signings, many of which don’t require a book purchase – like Stephanie Perkins‘, Marie Lu‘s, and E. Lockhart‘s. They’re going to be at booths 1921, 2021, and MR3156.
- Harlequin: They have lots ARC signings (ARC = Advance Reader Copies aka books that haven’t been released yet)!! Some of the ones I hope to get are If There’s No Tomorrow by Jennifer L. Armentrout and All Rights Reserved by Gregory Scott Katsoulis. They’ll be at booths 2921 and 2927.
- Some other good ones are EpicReads, HarperCollins, and Scholastic (pretty much all the big publishers), and OwlCrate.
Check out the full list of exhibitors here.
Main Stage Panels:
- Connor Franta’s Note to Self Journey (Saturday): anyone who knows me knows how much I love Connor, I have both of his books and ahh I’m just so excited for this panel! Hopefully I’ll be there early enough to get a spot!
- Kids Book Blockbusters (Sunday): okay yes I’m 16 years old and about to be a senior in high school, but 3 out of 4 of these authors are my childhood FAVS!! How could I pass it up? (Not sure if I’ll be able to make it to this one, but let’s see)
There are other main stage panels that seem interesting but I’m probably not going to have time for more than one per day. But Bill Nye is coming on Sunday… holy moly guacamole (*starts singing Bill Nye theme song*)
~BILL BILL BILL~
- Carrying On with Rainbow Rowell (Saturday): I saw her at BookCon 2015 and she is one of my favorite authors!
- Find Your Voice with Sarah Dessen, Shannon Hale, Jenny Han, and Morgan Matson (Saturday): I love a good YA Contemporary novel, so seeing all these authors would be super cool!
- Transforming a Bestseller onto the Silver Screen: The Book to Film Experience (Saturday): Out of all the panels I want to see on Saturday (not including Connor’s) this is the one I’m most excited for. I’ve read all of the books being discussed except Wonder, but my sister has read that so we are both really looking forward to this panel.
- I’ll Take Audiobooks for $400, Please!: an Audience vs. Author Game Show (Sunday): Sarah Dessen and Nicola Yoon are going to be here and this will be fun to watch. Plus everyone who goes gets a free pair of earbuds and three audiobook downloads, so that’s a bonus!
- Write Here, Write Now (Sunday): Well, fiction is the best (in my opinion), especially YA fiction, and I am a fan of most of these authors!
It was really hard to narrow down the panels I want to see, and I have a feeling I’m probably not going to be able to see all of these. It’s okay though, because that means more time to find free books on the show floor!
Check out the full panel schedule (including main stage) here.
On Monday everyone had the chance to sign up for two autographings per ticket per day. They filled up VERY quickly, some within less than a minute! But I was there right at 12pm, when it started, so I was able to get all of the authors I wanted (with the exception of Jenny Han) which I am very thankful for! (I used my parents’ badges to get some extra signings for myself)
- Rainbow Rowell
- Stephen Chbosky
- Sarah Dessen
- Nicola Yoon
- Veronica Roth
- Melissa de la Cruz (for my sister)
- RJ Palacio (for my sister)
- Jennifer E. Smith
- E. Lockhart
- Adam Silvera
- Lauren Oliver
So many of my favorites oh my gosh!!!!! Also there’s a ~slight~ chance I may not be able to make it to all of these 😬 hopefully my parents can go on my behalf. (In my defense, the autographing sign-ups were absolutely crazy and I wasn’t exactly thinking rationally…)
Obviously a lot of my events will be overlapping… here’s a part of my schedule for Saturday:
I like color coding stuff. Also, I’m not good at narrowing events down.
(If you’d like to see my full BookCon schedule and make a copy based on your events, check it out here. I find this way to be very helpful!!)
The good thing is, my parents are coming with me, so they can grab some ARCs or get my books signed if I want to go to a panel.
- First make sure you’ve looked over my BookCon 2017 Survival Guide.
- Print out your confirmation email (if you need to pick up your tickets), autographing tickets, schedule (if you have one), and any other special events tickets you may have.
- If you would like, laminate your schedule and/or autographing tickets.
- If you’re staying in NYC for the weekend, make sure all of your reservations (such as hotel, food, sightseeing) are ready.
- Also make sure you’re packed! Don’t wait until the last minute because then you might forget something 😦
- If you’re not staying in NYC, make sure you have transportation figured out (driving, train, Uber, walking? maybe not walking). *Parking garages in NYC can be very expensive, so unless you are going in a group, it might not be the most economical choice.
- Also plan out your outfits, start packing your bag, and if you’re bringing a suitcase to coat check, have that ready.
- Now that you know which autographings you will be going to, if they are free signings, decide which books to bring from home – don’t bring too many!! You’ll already be loaded down with books from the show floor!
- A way to accumulate author signatures is by bringing a book plate, t-shirt, picture, or something similar. They are considerably lighter and a cool way to display multiple signatures in one place!
- If you’re still unsure about something, ask on the BookCon app, or send BookCon a message via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
- Follow publishers/exhibitors on social media. Some have already started releasing their giveaway schedules!
- Don’t forget to go in with a positive attitude! Enjoy your weekend!!
Basically… don’t wait until Friday at 11:30 pm to figure things out. Take the long weekend and prepare!
I can’t wait until next weekend! What are you looking forward to at BookCon?
Today’s quote: “The love of books is a love which requires neither justification, apology, nor defense.” -J.A. Langford